Home > knitting > Finished objects

Finished objects

These were all finished in the last week.

Mason-Dixon Perfect Sweater
Yarn: Cascade 220 Plum Heather
Needles: Inox US4 and Addi Turbo US3

mdsweater.jpg

What I learned: How to knit a sweater – shaping, three-needle bindoff, mattress stitch and how to set-in sleeves.

Notes: I knit six more rows after the border to make it about an inch longer, and since I had to go down two needle sizes to get stitch gauge, I I had to make other adjustments in the body to adjust for the change in row gauge. In this case, I used the instructions for shaping the XL sweater while otherwise using the instructions for Large. It does show my tummy, but the shaping in the sides is actually very flattering – more so than a looser knit. And, honestly, nothing knitted would hide the tummy. I decided not to adjust the shaping in the sleeves, and they do fit perfectly.

sweatercuff.jpg

If I were to make this sweater again, I’d probably add another row or two of seed in the collar, as I prefer a higher neck. And I loved working with this yarn, so I will be using it again.

Wendy’s Generic Feather-and-Fan Socks(modified)
Yarn: Lorna’s Laces Shepherd Sock “Watercolor”
Needle: Addi Turbo US0
sharonsox.jpg

What I learned: This is my fourth pair of socks, but I did learn a new bind-off – instead of passing the first stitch over the second, you knit them together. This is in the pattern, but I’ve used it elsewhere. It’s easy, loose and very pretty.

Notes: The stripes behaved beautifully here – nice stripes on the foot and gorgeous waves on the leg – it hardly looks like the same yarn. I also modified the lace pattern a bit:

ffdetail.jpg

When I knit the yarnovers, I twisted them as if doing M1. This was inadvertent for the first few repeats. When I realized my mistake, I did a repeat without twisting them, and decided that I liked my way better. It’s not as stretchy, but it’s more dramatic. I’m calling this modified feather-and-fan. These are a gift for a friend and I hope she likes them.

Frankenmittens
Yarn: Fiesta Watermark Safari/Patons Kroy Sock yarn (Grass)
Needles: Brittany Birch US6 dpns/Knitpicks Classic Circulars US1
Pattern: My own – tip down outer mittens, cuff-up inner ones.

frankemittens.jpg

What I learned: Mohair is itchy. Also, how to do figure 8 caston using dpns, which had given me problems in the past. And while I’m still not very good at it, I’m getting a clue as to how to do kitchener stitch. It helped that the tips of the inner mittens would never be seen.

Notes:: Knitpicks US1 is actually larger than standard, but they were just what I wanted for this project. The liner yarn came from a pair of socks I wasn’t going to finish because the yarn itself kept tangling. It took just over one skein – I finished the second liner (not visible) by knitting straight from the one sock I’d come close to completing. Again, no one would see the liner, so who cared if it was curly?

I’d originally bound off the mohair mittens using the k2tog bind-off from the socks, and that turned out to be a good choice – it’s so loose I could rip it out even a week afterwards. I had to break a couple of “bridges”, but that was about it. For the first mitten, I picked up two stitches of sock yarn per stitch of mohair, but the resulting liner was too large, so for the second, I picked up four fewer stitches per side.

frankenmouth.jpg

The one on the right is the first mitten, and you can see how the join is much neater than the join on the second but that doesn’t show when they’re being worn and the second line fits better.

With the liners, the mittens are now quite bearable, and much warmer. Which is good because it’s been cold here in NYC the last few days – in fact, I rushed to finish them Tuesday morning and wore them right away. I know they need a wash and block, but I’m going to wait until things get warmer.

Also, the Knitpicks 32″ circular is absolutely flexible enough to do magic loop, even for the thumbs.

And just for a bonus, my current works in progress:

wsip.jpg

On top is a sock for my husband. The yarn is Brown Sheep Wildfoote in Master Grey. The bottom is the beginings of the Diamond Fantasy Shawl, for which I’m using Knitpicks Gloss in Dusk. This is my first charted lace shawl.

Advertisements
Categories: knitting
  1. February 1, 2007 at 3:00 pm

    Wow, that sweater came out so, so pretty!

    Nicely done!

    ~firefly

  2. February 1, 2007 at 7:11 pm

    Fabulous. It fits so nicely! Inspiration for us sweater-virgins.

  1. No trackbacks yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: